Saturday, September 26, 2009

Sporty Saturday Spotlight


This week the Sporty Spotlight shines bright on seventeen-year-old Massachusetts’ skateboarder, Rachel Reid. Check out her interview below where Rachel shares how she combats intimidation before competitions, her favorite memory, and much, much more. And don’t miss her amazing pic.

IMG00671


Name: Rachel Reid


Age: 17


Sport(s): Skateboarding, snowboarding


Hometown: Stoughton Mass


High School/Middle School/College: High School


What’s your fave sport?

skateboarding


How many years have you been playing your fave sport?


Well I got my first board around 8 years old. So about 9 years.


What is your fave sporty moment or memory?


My favorite memory would have to be when my dad convinced me to do my first contest. I was so terrified, but I stuck with it and did my thing. I realized how much fun they are and I have been entering as many come my way!


What is the biggest lesson you’ve learned from playing your sport?


My biggest lesson I have learned through skateboarding is that I can skateboard just as good as the guys. Also not to be intimidated by the guys.


What have you learned about work ethic from playing sports?


You have to work hard in order to succeed in life.


How do you balance school and sports?


It’s hard because all I want to do is skate every second I have!

I usually take care of my schoolwork and then go skate with my friends. Most of the contests I enter are in the summer time so I don’t have to miss school.


Who’s your fave athlete, both male and female?


I have so many fave athletes. Mike Vallely would have to be my fave male athlete. He’s so inspirational and I like how he has his own style of skating. My fave female skater would have to be Elissa Steamer. She is such a sick street skater.


What’s the girliest thing you like to do? (Pretty Tough signature question)


The girliest thing I like to do is prob get new skate clothes and shoes.


Thanks, Rachel! I’m inspired by your extreme dedication and I look forward to following your exciting skateboarding career. Good luck!


Do you want to be spotlighted? Send an email to Keri Mikulski at kerimikulski(at)gmail(dot)com.


Happy Saturday!

5 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

This has got to be the best sport ever! I love the spotlight, Keri!

Keri Mikulski said...

Thanks, PJ!! I know.. I can't imagine doing the tricks. :) Amazing.

Kelly H-Y said...

LOVE these spotlight interviews!!!

Stacy Nyikos said...

I'm going to have to show this to my daughter. Her class read "Catching Air" last year, and they all thought is was wicked :-)

Keri Mikulski said...

Thanks, Kelly!

Sounds, good, Stacy!! I'll have to check out CATCHING AIR. :)