Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Mental Toughness: Jeter Style

As many of you know, I’m a HUGE Derek Jeter fan…. And yes, I’m obsessed with his breath taking good looks and the way he fits into a Yankees uniform, but what really intrigues me about this amazing athletic specimen is his ability to do his job well day in and day out.


Like for instance…


Jeter consistently gives 100%.


Jeter never complains and his positive aura is infectious.


Jeter works hard all-year long no matter how many records he breaks or awards he wins.


I find athletes very intriguing (obviously) because to be the best, break records, and compete at the highest level, professional athletes must have an insane mental toughness, focus, and drive. Often, I find myself wanting to dive into their brains to find out how they do it.


Do you think authors need to be mentally tough? And whom do you admire?


A humungous congratulations goes out to Carrie Harris for her book deal!!!!! Check out all the deets here. Yay, Carrie!!!!


Happy Wednesday!

10 comments:

Carrie Harris said...

Aw, thanks!

And yes, I do think authors need to be mentally tough. It's a tough industry to break into, requiring a lot of work and hope and belief in yourself. So all of the attributes you describe would be great for a writer to have, In fact, I think I'm going to strive to be more Jeterific from here on out. :)

Alyson Noel said...

Oh, yeah! In this business, with all it's rejections and set backs-you need to have a pretty thick skin to survive and a strong desire to keep on keeping on! I admire any and all who've managed to make a long term career of it!

Kelly Polark said...

I do admire the athletes that are so dedicated. Michael Jordan is probably my favorite athlete. I don't admire athletes that get paid so much and try to slack or break the law!
And yes, authors do need to be mentally tough: rejections, waiting, rejections, rewrites.
We are tough chicks,yo!

PJ Hoover said...

I'll second your Yay for Carrie! I am so happy for her and for you!

It's so important to keep that positive attitude and I love the reminder to always give 100%. Infectious people (of this sort) are a joy to be around.

Dru said...

I admire those who give more than 100% and is courteous and respectful to those they interact with.

Of course number one on my list is....Jeter!

Marianne Arkins said...

Jeter is a good guy -- which is something we don't see that often in sports anymore.

And, HECK YEAH authors need to be tough. Before we're pubbed, we get zillions of rejections. After we pubbed we deal with bad reviews.

Thick Skins R Us.

Keri Mikulski said...

Congrats, Carrie!!! :) :) Love the word - Jeterific!! ;)

Hey, Alyson! I agree! And me too - like you! ;)

Hi, Kelly!! Me too. We are tough chicks. :)

Keri Mikulski said...

So true, PJ! I love infectious people (happy ones, of course).

Great taste, Dru! How did I know you would say that? :)

Love it, Marrianne! Thick skins are us. :)

Kelly H-Y said...

Definitely!
And a big 'yay!!!' to Carrie ... so cool!

Keri Mikulski said...

Hey, Kelly!! :) Yay, Carrie!! :)