Sunday, October 25, 2009

Saturday Sporty Spotlight

sportyspotlight3

This Saturday the sporty spotlight shines bright on fourteen-year-old superstar skateboarder, Stacia Suttles. Stacia hails from Bronx, New York (Go Yankees!). Today she shares her biggest lessons, balancing three sports, and the dish on her skateboarding sponsors. Check out her insightful interview below.


Name: Stacia Suttles


Age: 14


Sport(s): skateboarding, tae-kwon-do, basketball


Hometown: Bronx, NY


High School/Middle School/College: St. Catherine Academy


Number: 31


Position: forward (basketball)


What’s your fave sport? skateboarding


How many years have you been playing your fave sport? 10 years


What was your fave sporty moment or memory?


Learning how to drop in a ramp


What is the biggest lesson you’ve learned from playing your sport?


To never give up.


What have you learned about teamwork?


In basketball you need to work together with your team, and you can’t act as if you are alone.


How do you balance school and sports?


I get my schoolwork done first, then comes skating, basketball, and tae-kwon-do. When I am in school, I think about school, and when I am doing a sport, I think about the sport.


List some awards or accolades you’ve received.


In tae-kwon-do I have achieved the level of half/black belt, and in November 2009 I will get my 1st degree black belt.


Who’s your fave athlete, both male and female?


Ross Levine(martial arts), Danny Way(skateboarding), Rajon Rondo(basketball), Layla Ali(female boxer)


Are you sponsored? If so, by who?


Yes I am sponsored in skateboarding, by Fuel clothing, Division 26 clothing, Physcho wear, Aplomb clothing, F1 ceramic bearings, IPath footwear, SMX Optics, Christopher bean coffee, Drop in ride shop, and warrior skateboards.


What’s the girliest thing you like to do? (Pretty Tough signature question)


I like to have a lot of clothes, and sneakers. I also like to have my hair nice.


Thanks, Stacia! Good luck with your skateboarding career, sponsorships, and earning your black belt. I love your advice to ‘never give up’. Good stuff. :)


Do you want to be spotlighted? Send an email to kerimikulski(at)gmail(dot)com.


Happy Saturday!

2 comments:

Barrie said...

I wish I'd be so together at 14! Way to go, Stacia!

Keri Mikulski said...

Me too, Barrie! The girls featured are amazing athletes.